Monday, August 26, 2013

Timeshare Owner: You poor Fool!

Resort on Cocoa Beach, my timeshare in the 1990s

In the med-1990s, I got caught up in the timeshare movement. I went to Cocoa Beach near “I Dream of Genie” Park in Florida and bought a timeshare. I just knew that I was going to use it every year. Cocoa Beach is next to Cape Kennedy, my favorite place.  My wife’s parents lived about 100 mile up the coast. I was near Orlando and Miami.

Well things did not work out as I planned. I divorced my wife two years later. The space shuttle program was ending and not too many launches were happening. People at the cape were being laid off and the economy went into the toilet. The worst thing was that condo fees tripled in three years.  I had to get out of the situation.  Things went from bad to worst. I found a realtor that wanted to sell the property for me. But I had to pay him up front. Once I did, I never heard from him again and I still had the property. I ended up giving the property away. I never considered buying a timeshare again.

Here are 4 tips that “Independent Financial Portal” has on selling your timeshare for you poor fools!    
If you are trying to figure out how to sell a timeshare fast, there are a number of ways that you could approach the task. Timeshares are regularly sold on the secondary market, and there are a number of buyers that are always interested. Here are a few different strategies that you can use to sell a timeshare fast.

Hire a Broker

One of the best ways to unload your timeshare quickly is to hire a timeshare broker. There are many companies out there that specialize in selling timeshares on the secondary market. This broker will take a commission from the sale just as a regular real estate agent would. She will list the property on her website and could potentially use a number of other marketing techniques in order to increase exposure to your property. She will locate a buyer and facilitate the entire process of selling your timeshare. This is one of the easiest methods of selling a timeshare, and it is also generally one of the fastest ways.

Lower the Price

The timeshare market is very competitive. There are a large number of timeshares on the market and a limited number of buyers to work with. If you want to get the attention of the buyers in the market, you need to make them a compelling offer. Do not price your timeshare high because it will usually scare off potential buyers. You need to start the price of the timeshare out low so that you will create interest. If the selling price is too high, do not count on anyone making an offer. Someone may feel as if he is insulting you with a low offer even if you might actually take much less. 

Talk to Your Timeshare Company

If you purchased a timeshare in a popular travel destination, you might be able to get some help from the company that sold your timeshare to you. Some timeshare resorts are completely sold out and have a waiting list of interested buyers. If you happen to own a timeshare in one of these properties, you might be able to sell it back to the company that sold it to you so that they can resell it to someone else. With this arrangement, you will not be able to sell it for full price, but you will be able to get something back out of it.

List It Yourself


If you do not want to hire a broker and pay someone a commission, you could potentially list the property yourself. There are many websites out there that allow people to list timeshares for a specific flat fee. You can put the property up on the website along with pictures of your unit and the resort. This is a very simple process, and it can be a good way to gain closure for your property. Many timeshares are sold in this manner, and if you price it correctly, it should move quickly. 

No comments: