Sunday, January 12, 2014

What can you do about blemishes on your credit report!



You be surprised how ignorant people are about the importance of their credit report. No, they do not teach personal finance in public school. To banks, loan companies, and retailers, it is important that you as a consumer do not know your rights when it comes to your credit. If you did, you the consumer will not “shop until you drop” using your credit card. You might manage your credit meaning that you may not buy things on impulse at the store.

A woman approached me recently, telling me that she could not buy anything on credit. She has not used her credit for the past 10 years because she could not pay off her bills. Instead, she did not buy anything on credit knowing that her debt would fall off her credit report in 10 years. But she did not know that now she has no credit history, meaning that she has to start creating credit all over again. That means that she cannot buy a car, home, and in many places rent a place to stay.
I talk to other people who walk around saying that they know their credit is bad. But they don’t want to look into how to fix it to make it better. They sometimes decide not to use credit for years thinking that they are getting away with something. Then one day when they go to rent or buy a place to stay or get a car, they find out that they can’t do it without a co-signer.
You be surprised how many people come to me wanting me to co-sign for a loan. I tell them quickly to go see their banker because I am not a bank. You would also be surprised how many people think that they have a right to my money and get upset when they do not get it. My initials is DLW, not ATM!

One business man who I knew in passing called me up wanting me to give him a loan for $10,000. He also went on to tell me that he owes his brother 10s of thousands of dollars already and can’t pay him back. So I was wondering if he thought that I am just retarded, stupid, or just crazy. Why would I want to lend (knowing that it will end up being a gift) him money?

Click on the above. It is an article telling you how to fix your credit. No, you can’t make a phone call and expect it to be fixed in one day. But for the people who want to increase their credit score, here is a strategy to do just that.

No comments: